Cinespastic: Movies at the Workplace
My fellow workplace friends:
I have a query for you.
So let’s say you love your 9-5 job (which I do), and you really like all the people you work with (like I do) — not a bad apple on the team — but you find at times that your job is making you stressed beyond words. How do you manage?
I often wonder what it was like in an office before email and computers. I’m grateful, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes the pace of it all surmounts to something that becomes beyond overwhelming. Say like, you take a vacation day or week and the whole time you know that you’ll be coming back to hundreds of unanswered emails all in need of a response. Can you catch up? Do you just shut down? Sometimes I find not taking time off is less stressful than a vacation. And sick time? God, forget it.
There are some great workplace movies out there, and the opening of the new film Horrible Bosses has made me think about them. Luckily, I haven’t had a boss or job that’s been horrible.
Here are some of my recommendations for great workplace movies:
- Working Girl: Dear God this is a great movie.
- The Devil Wears Prada: Emily…. Emily….
- Norma Rae: UNION
- Office Space: duh, of course
- His Girl Friday: Cant beat the banter of a 1940s newsroom
- The Apartment: Possibly Billy Wilder’s best film
- Sweet Smell of Success: Publicists, gossip columnists, the gritty underbelly of New York City – this is a great one
- 9 to 5: Simply hilarious
- The Company: Altman’s lovely film about a dance company
- Wall Street: Michael Douglas’ iconic Gordon Gekkko rules this film
First time here? See what we're all about... Get involved... Send us a tip!...