Home » Morning Upper, Music
20 October 2008, 12:55 pm No Comments

Music: Your Monday Downer: Mandy Steckelberg & Stereotype humor

Mondays suck. So on most Mondays we give you a fun video to ease the pain. This Monday we’re asking you to think a little bit. Sorry. It won’t happen again.

The above video comes from queer comedian Mandy Steckelberg, who we’ve previously featured on the site for her song “I Hate Everyone.” The new video is called “I Love the Gays.” Mandy says its in response to Sarah Palins claims of “tolerating” the gays and I will admit it’s pretty funny. Indigo Girls, men who work in clothing stores… yup, who hasn’t seen a homo indulge in one or two of our own stereotypical behaviors?

But I would balk at any sentence of this song if it came from the mouth of a straight person. Mandy told me over email that she’s bi. This gives a little bit of a pass. However, almost every sentence of this song contains the same tired jokes about gay people that we’ve endured for years. What do you do when someone’s intentions are probably pure but their humor is outdated and potentially dangerous?

Mandy’s used gay-based humor before to a more intelligent effect (she has other good videos too) but I definitely can’t post “I Love The Gays” without asking you all some of these questions. So leave a comment below if you have an opinion on this.

Note: Some websites refer to Steckelberg as straight, but she identified as bisexual in an email to me which followed her original press release.

No Comment »

• Tyrone said:

I think comedy is about a number of factors: who is saying it, in what context, and for what purpose. For this video I actually thought it was funny. It helps that Mandy is bi. Oh, my boyfriend drives a Mazda. HAHAHA!

• Over it. said:

The stereotypes Steckelberg uses are accurate. We all know plenty of gay people aren’t like that but many are. If people are offended by these parodies it means they themselves are somehow stereotypical and self-conscious (or self-loathing) about it.

Also, don’t lose sight of the fact that Steckelberg is mocking straight “tolerance”. I laughed at that song because “those gays” are really annoying and small minded and I was glad to see someone parodying them. I mean, how small is your world if all you are is a stereotype, straight or gay?

Transcend.

• Parker said:

i think the guy in the back is hot.

• Andrew Pendleton said:

Yeah, the trouble with hipster humor is that it’s sometimes difficult to tell at which level the song/joke in question is meant to be ironic. Like someone above suggested, I think the charitable reading, here, is that she’s making fun of people who only appreciate gay people for their stereotypes. Who knows if that’s what she meant, though.

• Kevin said:

Frankly, I think it’s great.

There’s an article in [this months?] Details about how, every now and then, everyone is “that guy” (i.e. “You put your BlackBerry on the table when you sit down at a restaurant” or “You make a show out of tasting wine” or “You don’t wash last night’s admission stamp off your hand”) and you just have to accept that it happens sometimes. The point is that at some point we’re all assholes. The same goes for “nontraditional” sexual orientations. At some point, we’re “that gay.” Sucks that it places us into a stereotype. But, as this song highlights, it ain’t necessarily bad.

This, like many other videos/songs/jokes of the same ilk, will be fantastic campy reminders of the past once children are no longer raised with strict gender and sexuality roles and guidelines and society accepts that love between any two consenting adults is beautiful.

But until then, I’m gonna through on some Madonna, plan a nice fall amuse-bouche for my next dinner party, and redecorate.

• adam isn't here said:

i’m pretty sure that was was may’s details.

really though? dangerous? i think everyone is a little too worked up about people using stereotypes. you know what i think has be totally unfairly stereotyped? stereotypes!!! stereotypes are NOT inherently horrible things.

• adam isn't here said:

i’m pretty sure that was was may’s details.

• adam isn't here said:

i’m pretty sure that was was may’s details.

• Mandy Steckelberg said:

When I wrote this song, I meant it honestly as a love letter, taking my material from real-life examples and stories from what impresses me about my real friends. I never, ever meant it to offend, in any way. I meant it to emphasize love, to make people laugh and to remind them to vote “no on prop 8″ in California. I’m sorry it was a Monday downer. It was not intended that way.

• Anonymous said:

Rock on Mandy. Many of us “got it” from the beginning.