Home » Sports
26 March 2008, 1:40 pm 12 Comments

Sports: Queer Cycling

This image is from a web page reminding us “why cycling shorts should always be black.”

We here at TNG firmly believe in fitness. Exercise is good for you. It will help you live a longer, healthier, happier life. Oh, and it will generally result in you looking hotter than you would otherwise. We’re all about increasing the amount of hotness in this world.

I’ve already written about one of my athletic past-times, yoga. Now I have a chance to share with you my other favorite form of exercise: cycling.

Yours truly has teamed up with the gay-owned Bike Rack bike shop at Q and 14th NW to provide a weekly community bike ride for beginner to intermediate cyclists. We meet up every Saturday (weather permitting) at a “civilized” hour (10 AM) and do rides in the 20- to 30-mile range. These rides generally take about two hours, and usually include a break or two along the way.

If you’re interested in joining the rides, you’ll want to bring a few things:

• Helmet (mandatory)
  • Water bottle
  • Spare tube or patch kit

You might also want to hop on the stationary bike at the gym and see if you can make it 20 miles in one sitting. While these rides are accessible to beginner cyclists, you’ll need to be in relatively good shape in order to keep up with the pack (or at least prevent everyone from waiting for you at the tops of the hills.)

If you have any questions about the weekly ride, feel free to email me. If you’re gung ho and ready to roll, subscribe to the Bike Rack’s Google Group to keep in touch with the rest of the cycling community, then meet up with us on Saturday. If you are a more experienced rider and want a more challenging ride, check out the Bike Rack’s Sunday ride. (8:30 AM, 40- to 50-miles, 16+ mph)

Cycling is great way to get or stay fit. It’s a zero-impact workout, so you don’t have to worry (too much) about your knees. It’s a great workout for the quads, glutes and calf muscles. And riding behind someone with a hot, spandex-clad ass is much more fun than doing squats and lunges.

** Update: The Saturday Bike Ride now has a website/blog. Check it out. **

The Bike Rack hosts weekly bike rides for beginner and intermediate cyclists every Saturday. Meet at the shop, 1412 Q St NW, Saturdays at 10 AM. Rides canceled if it is raining or the roads are wet.

• Zack said:

I didn’t know you could tell time from people’s bike shorts, but the 4th guy from the left says it 1:05.

• onestepahead said:

I’ve been biking here for years but one of the most enjoyable rides is simply riding around Washington on a weekend. In about 10 minutes of cycling you can go from the Mall to U Street. 10 minutes later you’re at the Florida Ave Market. 15 more minutes and you’re at RFK.

It’s actually a very nice way to tour the city and you can go places you can’t with a car (the Capitol grounds, the Mall, the C&O Canal).

• Anonymous said:

Chicago must be the bike friendliest city in America. I will actually miss that aspect when I move to New York.

The whole lake front of Chicago is one long park, with a paved bike path. It’s not just for bikes, but that’s why it was originally put there.

There are bike rallies, bike clubs, and even the Mayor will bike to work. From March till about October, you can bike weather permitting.

There is even a bike garage where you can park for free, or join, so you can take a shower after biking. Very nice after a sweaty bike ride.

I love biking.

• Hans Nelson said:

Have the people in the photo never heard of undergarments? There are things made to prevent that sort of view.

• onestepahead said:

anonymous, I went to visit a friend in Chicago and I decided to bring my bike along. It was amazing! Biking along the lake front with seemingly endless Lake Michigan stretching horizontally to one side and with skyscrapers stretching vertically on the other side made for a ride I’ll never forget.

• Michael said:

Cyclists wear those shorts in lieu of undergarments. That’s the whole point. When you’re moving your legs so much, you want as few seams as possible to prevent chaffing. The problem with these guys is that the need crotch padding. Padding provides extra protection for the taint and hides those tell-all bulges.

• Michael said:

Speaking of telling what time it is by someone’s genetals, check out this YouTube video. Thanks, Nestor.

• Anonymous said:

Uh, that pic has had some photoshop poorly applied to it.

• Bernardo said:

This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very accurate info… Many thanks for sharing this one.

A must read article!

• ios ipod library tutorial said:

At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, after having my
    breakfast coming yet again to read more news.

• meadow brook roofer said:

Ventilation is a vital component to any good roofing job in Portland OR.
    You might want to take a look at the damage yourself so you can have a better understanding of the level of repair that needs to be done.
    Quite often this is a sign that the roofing material
    was victim of an installation faulty, even if the material itself has more
    life remaining.

• age of warring empire versions said:

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for facebook game
    groups